- Automatic safety cutoff if the welder gets too hot. Ensuring your equipment stays within safe operating temperature and extending it's lifespan.
- Feels well-constructed and made of metal. The MIG Gun feels light and is a pleasure to use.
- Can run between 25A and 140A making this MIG welder versatile in it's application. Suitable for car body work to thicker steel.
- Short duty cycle compared to others on the market.
- Only compatible with 110V input voltage.
The Hobart Handler 140 is an extremely popular MIG welder, featuring a simplistic interface giving you exactly what you ask for. Boasting a lightweight unit ensuring portability, as well as MIG, Fluxed cored and Aluminium welding capabilities. Below we will look at the handler 140s features, what comes in the box as well as an unboxing video of the unit.
Brand name: Hobart
Model: 140 Handler (MIG)
Height: 12-3/8 in. (315 mm)
Length: 19-1/2 in. (495 mm)
Width: 10-5/8 in. (270 mm)
Duty Cycle: 20% @ 90A (18.5 VDC) & 63A (21VDC)
Process Type: MIG, Flux-Cored
Product weight: 57lb (26KG)
Welding Amperage Range: 25A – 140A
Wire Feed Speed Range: 40 – 700 IPM & 50 – 740 IPM at no load
Overview of Features
Industrial Cast Aluminum Wire Drive System: Ensuring a smooth delivery of wire, the cast aluminium drive is durable enabling you to lay perfect welds with no surprises.
5-Position Voltage Control: On the setting panel, you can fine tune the voltage control allowing you to fine tune the arc.
Quick Select Drive Roll: This drive roll has three grooves, two for different sized solid wire and a third for flux-cored wire. This makes setup a breeze giving you more arc time.
Portability: This unit weighs only 57 pounds (25.85 KG), making it easily portable. It’s also a small sized unit which makes storage and transportation needed, a crucial feature if you’re tight on storage space or move between jobs a lot.
Convenient Polarity Changeover: Convenient access makes it quick and easy to swap polarity between solid or tubular wire.
Sloped Control Panel: A great feature is the slanted control panel. When standing above the welder you can still see the control panel properly, allowing you to make changes mid weld conveniently.
5/3/1 Industrial Warranty: A standard 5 year warranty on transformers, three on electronics (such as drive motors and rectifiers) and one year on supplied guns.
Will this welder suit my needs?
Perfect for light fabrication work at home or a farm setting, as this model can run from a 110v 20A socket. As the power output is rated for a maximum of 140A, Hobart rate this machine capable of up to 1/4 inch steel. Perfect for at home, farm or automobile work. The versatility this machine provides is perfect for light welding work or beginners, packed with features to tackle light fabrication work.
Due to the maximum output being only 140A and a relatively short duty cycle compared to higher priced units, would make this model unsuitable for heavy fabrication work. Hobart do offer upper range units if you require more power, having said that for a low end unit the 140 MIG is a no brainer.
What’s in the box?
- Comfortable 10 ft. (3 m) H100S2-10 gun
- 10 ft. (3 m) work cable with clamp
- Built-in gas solenoid valve and dual-gauge regulator with gas hose
- Spool hub assembly accommodates 4 or 8 in. spools
- Sample spool of .030 in. (0.8 mm) self-shielding flux-cored wire
- .030 in. (0.8 mm) contact tips
- Quick Select™ drive roll for .024 in. (0.6 mm) or .030/.035 in.(0.8/0.9 mm) solid wire, and .030/.035 in. (0.8/0.9 mm) flux-cored wire
- Power cord with plug
- Welding guide and material thickness gauge
- Owner’s manual with installation, operation and maintenance guidelines
194776 Small Running Gear/Cylinder Rack
245924 Replacement Gun for Handler 140
195186 Protective Weather Resistant Cover
If you wish to take on light fabrication projects, this is a fantastic choice. A reasonably priced model with everything you need in a welder, it will keep with everyday tasks and won’t break the bank. You can also be reassured by the warranty supplied with the unit should you have any concerns.