- Smooth arc start and a forgiving arc make welding easier. Will help beginner welders to get started quicker without having to fine tune settings.
- Easy to transport around as it weighs 50 lbs. (22.7 kg).
- Three year warranty from a well known manufacturer.
- Tool-less design prevents any complications when swapping wire drive assembly.
- Compatible with welding Aluminum, and can connect a spool gun directly with no external circuitry.
- Only input voltage of 120V, limiting use in commercial settings.
- Frequent stops can cause issues with the wire feed motor.
Below we will be reviewing the 140 HD to find out if it’s the right piece of equipment for you. Similar in specification to the Lincoln 180 HD, the difference is the 180 HD has a highter output amperage as well as 230V input voltage only. Both machines are a great choice, packed with helpful features and a 3 year warranty as standard.
Brand name: Lincoln
Height: 13.7 in. (357mm)
Length: 18.6 in. (472mm)
Width: 10.15 in. (258mm)
Duty Cycle: 130A/20V/30%
Input Voltage: 120V
Process Type: Flux Cored, MIG
Product weight: 50 lbs. (22.7 kg)
Feed Speed Range: 50-500 ipm (1.3-12.7 m/min)
Amperage Range: 30-140A
Cored Wire Size Range: .030-.035 in.
Overview of Features
Diamond Core Technology: A patented piece of equipment which will “deliver a forgiving arc” helping you lay beautiful beads. This unit definitely has a stable arc, which makes using this unit much more pleasurable especially with thicket matierals. The smooth arc technology included in this model allows you to create an arc with minimal splatter, reducing the time spent cleaning up your welded material.
Heavy Duty Wire Drive: A fully adjustable drive system reduces tangling and crushing of wire, whilst providing smooth delivery. It’s also much quieter than a plastic alternative with another benefit of added drive torque for higher delivery speeds. Made from one piece of Aluminum ensures durability, and unlike plastic counterparts won’t get brittle with heat or age.
Tool-less Design: No need to carry around any extra tools for input power changes, spool mounting, drive servicing and polarity changes. Convenient if you don’t own a range of tools, and no hidden surprises if something goes wrong.
PC Board Protection: Sensitive components are sealed from airbourne contaminants, as they’re sealed in a tough plastic tray. According to Lincoln this method of sealing electronics provides shock resistance, a great bit of reassurance should you drop/move the unit.
Spool Gun Ready: When connecting a gun to this machine, it will automatically detect if it’s a MIG or Spool Gun and adjust accordingly. Reducing the need for user input, and remembering another setting to change.
Simple Two Knob Control: With only two knobs on the welders control panel makes it easy to setup for gasless flux cored, or gas shielded MIG. One dial controls feed speed, whilst the other controls output voltage. This makes setup much easier, making this unit perfect if you want to setup and weld – no worries about over engineered design.
Brass to Brass Connection: Brass is a durable and great conductor of electricity, perfect for connecting your gun to the welder. Lower quality welders will use a poor alloy to save on manufacturing costs, resulting in a poorly conducting surface which eventually wears away.
Cast Aluminum Gear Box: Made from a single piece of Aluminum ensures durability, and ability to handle larger amounts of torque. This gear box is quiet too which is an added bonus.
Easy Turn Numeric Drive Tension Indicator: This feature allows you to easily find the best range for different wire diameters – providing the optimum settings for this welder.
Smooth Arc: A feature on various Lincoln welders that will start the welder with minimal splatter. A great feature which saves the hassle of cleaning your material, and allows you to get into welding with less hassle. I’ve found this feature useful after working with units that don’t feature smooth arc starts, you take it for granted!
Will this welder suit my needs?
Sitting on the lower end of the scale, the Weld Pak 140HD is great for domestic/DIY applications. As it’s only compatible with 120V input voltage, this wouldn’t be suitable for commercial/heavy duty work due to the lower output amperage this causes. Despite this if you’re on the market for a unit that can weld 24 gauge up to 3/16 in. (4.8 mm) sheet metal in a single pass. Weld up to 5/16 in. (7.9 mm) steel using self-shielded Electric Innershield (FCAW-S) wires – this model would be perfect for you.
Lincoln also offer 3 year warranty (providing the unit has been serviced regularly, by an official service center). You also have the ability to lengthen your warranty by 2 years for $85 at the time of writing this. Backed by a well known brand it’s reassuring to know your purchase is covered by a large company, with such a well known reputation. If you see yourself needing to weld thicker materials in the future, you may want to upgrade to the 180 HD. You can read our review of that unit here.
What’s in the Box?
According to Lincolns product information:
- Magnum® 100L and 10 ft. (3.0 m) cable assembly with brass connection and 4-pin MS-Type connection for trigger control (K530-6).
- .025 in. (0.6 mm) contact tips (Qty 3) (KH710)
- .035 in. (0.9 mm) contact tips (Qty. 3) (KH712)
- Gasless nozzle for Innershield welding (KH726)
- Gas nozzle for MIG (KH725)
- Spindle adapter for 8 in. (203 mm) diameter spools (KH720)
- .025 – .035 in. (0.6 – 0.9 mm) wire diameter dual track drive roll for MIG and flux-cored (KP2948-1)
Shielding Gas Apparatus
- Harris® 3000290 Gas Regulator (S25805) and 52 in. (1.3 m) hose (S19303) for use with Ar/CO2 blend gases. For use with CO2 shielding gas, order a Lincoln Electric S19298 CO2 shielding gas bottle adapter.
- Sample spool of .025 in. (0.6 mm) diamaeter SuperArc® L-56® premium
- Sample spool of .035 in. (0.9 mm) diameter Innershield® NR®-211-MP flux-cored wire
- Work clamp and 10 ft. (3.0 m) cable
- How To MIG Weld DVD
- Instruction manual
What’s not in the box?
Add On Products
If you want to weld Aluminum, you will require a separate gun which is not included. You can find this here.
The Weld Pak 140 HD is a great welder whether you’re new to the world of welding, need a machine for light fabrication or just a simple backup unit. Paired with the ease of use, affordability, reliability and a great warranty – makes this model a perfect choice. There are other options in the Weld Pak range should you require higher output amperage for thicker metals.