- Smooth arc start and a forgiving arc make welding easier. Will help beginner welders to get started quicker without having to fine tune settings.
- Easy to transport around as it weighs 56 lbs. (25.4 kg).
- One year warranty from a well known manufacturer.
- Tool-less design removes any complications when swapping wire drive assembly.
- Compatible with welding Aluminum, and can connect a spool gun directly with no external circuitry.
- Only input voltage of 230V, limiting when using in a domestic setting.
Below we will be reviewing the Lincoln 180 HD to find out if it’s the right piece of equipment for you. Similar in specification to the Lincoln 140 HD, the difference is the 180 HD has a highter output power output and the 180HD requires 230V input compared to the 120V input for the
Brand name: Lincoln
Height: 14 in. (357mm)
Length: 18.6 in. (472mm)
Width: 10.15 in. (258mm)
Duty Cycle: 130A/20V/30%
Input Voltage: 230V
Process Type: Flux Cored, MIG
Product weight: 56 lbs. (25.4 kg)
Wire Feed Speed Range: 50-500 IPM
Amperage Range: 30-230 A
Overview of Features
Diamond Core Technology: A patented piece of equipment which will “deliver a forgiving arc” helping you lay beautiful beads. This unit definitely has a stable arc, which makes using this unit much more pleasurable especially with thicket matierals. The smooth arc technology included in this model allows you to create an arc with minimal splatter, reducing the time spent cleaning up your welded material.
Heavy Duty Wire Drive: A fully adjustable drive system reduces tangling and crushing of wire, whilst providing smooth delivery. It’s also much quieter than a plastic alternative with another benefit of added drive torque for higher delivery speeds. Made from one piece of Aluminum ensures durability, and unlike plastic counterparts won’t get brittle with heat or age.
Tool-less Design: No need to carry around any extra tools for input power changes, wire spool mounting, wire drive servicing and polarity changes. Convenient if you don’t own a range of tools, and no hidden surprises if something goes wrong.
PC Board Protection: Sensitive components are sealed from airbourne contaminants, as they’re sealed in a tough plastic tray. According to Lincoln this method of sealing electronics provides shock resistance, a great bit of reassurance should you drop/move the unit.
Spool Gun Ready: When connecting a gun to this machine, it will automatically detect if it’s a MIG or Spool Gun and adjust accordingly. Reducing the need for user input, and remembering another setting to change.
Will this welder suit my needs?
A respectable output of 180 allows you to use this welder for farm work, light fabrication, automotive repair or home projects to name a few potential applications. It should be noted this welder isn’t compatible with multiple input voltages, and will only work with 230/240V. If you were going to use this welder for domestic use only, you may find the Lincoln 140c is more fit for purpose as it’s compatible with 120V input. Lincoln offers a standard 1 year warranty on all of their welders, great reassurance from a well known brand – you can find exact details of what is covered here.
If your a beginner or intermediate welder, this model is perfect providing it fits your desired applications. A few features such as the forgiving arc and smooth arc start makes welding easier as you don’t have to fine tune settings for the perfect beads. It’s power output and duty cycle are more than capable of welding small sections of material, from 24 gauge up to 3/16 in. (4.8 mm) sheet metal in a single pass. Weld up to 1/2 in. (12.7 mm) steel using self-shielded Lincoln Electric Innershield (FCAW-S) wires.
What’s in the Box?
According to Lincolns product page:
- Magnum® 100L gun and 10 ft. (3.0 m) cable assembly with brass gun connection and 4-pin MS-Type connection for trigger control (K530-6)
- .025 in (0.6 mm) and .035 in (0.9 mm) contact tips
- Gasless nozzle for Innershield® welding (KH726)
- Gas nozzle for MIG welding (KH725)
- Spindle adapter for 8 in. (203 mm) diameter spools (KH720)
Shielding Gas Apparatus
- Harris® 3000290 Gas Regulator (S25805) and 52 in. (1.3 m) hose (S19303) for use with Ar/CO2 or CO2 gases. For use with CO2 shielding gas, order a Lincoln Electric S19298 CO2 shielding gas bottle adapter.
- Sample spool of .025 in. (0.6 mm) diameter SuperArc® L-56® premium MIG wire
- Sample spool of .035 in. (0.9 mm) diameter Innershield® NR®-211-MP flux-cored wire
- Work clamp and 10 ft. (3.0 m) cable
- Learn-To-Weld DVD
- Lincoln Power MIG 140C Manual
What’s not in the box?
If you want to weld Aluminum, you will require a separate gun which is not included. You can find this here.
Add On Products
Lincolns 180 HD is a great welder with a history of feedback from buyers to look through. Despite being on the market for a number of years, it still lives on as a reliable and capable piece of equipment. Perfectly suited for light to medium use, and can weld material from 24 gauge up to 3/16 in. (4.8 mm) sheet metal in a single pass.
The warranty offered will ensure your covered if the worst happens within the first year, and is backed by a company that has a long history in the welding market. If this satisfies your requirements, it’s a great purchase which won’t leave you disappointed!